Monday, July 10, 2017

Treat the child as though he already is the person he's capable of becoming- Haim Ginott

Ever been to the store and seen a child being talked to poorly by their parent?
Ever seen a mother constantly yelling for every little thing?
Ever seen a teacher correct a student, but doesn't explain why?


I think I can go on and on about the communication amongst a child and a adult. Haim's quote was introduced to me in a behavior training about how students in our classroom need to be treated as children. At first I disagreed , but as my child grow up the age I started to change my opinion. Students in my class mess up, I try my hardest to not yell the first time. I think it is important to walk over and get down to their level and explain the problem and help them to improve. I can admit my child is in her two's. I yell at her quite often, but that approach does not work like it used to and I had to change my ways. I have to hold my students to the same standard I want my daughter to understand that anything she wants to do that she can do.


Students have it hard at home, and as teachers I think we shouldn't add more on to their plate? (Slang)
It feels weird saying don't add more to a child, because they are a child. Yet, children are faced with earlier situations than we were growing up. Parents work more, so many single family households, and income is a major strain on families.


In one of my past classes their was this story about a teacher who always gave smiley faces on all papers that reflected a poor grade. The reason why is that their is always room for growth, and sometimes students need to be reminded that they can do better!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that students need to be treated as children. We definitely have to take a step back and actually consider the fact that they are acting a certain a way because they do not no another way to act. Like you said when teachers even parents when correcting a child, they don't follow up with a reason behind it. So all the child gets out of the interaction is 'not' to do something rather than learning why it may not be the best or safest choice for them. I have some students with challenging behaviors in my classroom and have to catch myself sometimes. We can't expect a child to do better if they aren't given the tools and the knowledge to do so. Also, how you shared about a student not being in their full potential because they are simply sweep under the rug and passed along. That is the most damaging things an educator can do to a student. I feel like the previous teachers my children had before did that to them. I call it "Playing Teacher". They didn't take the necessary time they needed to really work with these kids and since they are only in preschool, they didn't take their education seriously. Same with behavior. I'm big on working with children to take accountability for their actions as well as giving them alternate ways to deal with conflict resolution or who they talk to their friends, teachers and even parents by modeling a positive approach.

    ReplyDelete

You never know !!!

This week I had the pleasure of learning sooooo much about what it means to be in poverty, and homeless! I guess this is what inspir...